One of our students in front of a creative attempt to announce the Design Conference/Exhibition (the 1st of its kind in Ibri College) which took place last week.
I thought this photo was a good match for a funny article I read in “Friday” magazine which comes free in every Friday’s edition of “The Gulf News“. Here are the 10 silly questions people ask:
1) “What are you doing here?”
You’re at the movies and you bump into a friend and this question hits you right away. What do you think I’m doing here? Having my car serviced, of course.
2) “Did I hurt you?”
You’ve just punctured my foot with your rapier-sharp stiletto heel and you feel the need to ask if you inflicted pain? No, dearie, not at all! My foot is always under local anaesthesia. Why don’t you try again?
3) “Am I late?” Asked by the bigwig who walks into an afternoon meeting a good two hours late. You have no choice but to reply, “Of course not, sir! We always start our evening meeting a little in advance.”
4) “Is the pasta in white sauce you serve here good?”
Why do people bother asking the waiter this question? He’s not getting paid to say, “It tastes like boiled white shoelaces but it’s better than any of the other trash we have on the menu.”
5) “Have you grown?” Asked almost reflexively by your distant aunt every time at the yearly family get-together (and you are now almost 20 years old). You can counter it by asking, “Have you put on weight?” That tends to shut her up for the next 20 years.
6) “Is she nice?” Your old schoolmate asks of your fiance after you have announced your engagement. No. She’s a nagging wench. (But) I’m marrying her because I’ve always wanted to blow 20k on a diamond ring.
7) “Were you sleeping?” Enquires a concerned voice on the other end of the phone at 4am. Me? Sleeping? At 4am? Heck, no. I’ve set aside this special time to research the marital traditions of Zulu tribes in Africa.
8) “Have you cut your hair?” Er, no. I tried a new shampoo and it shrank (my hair, not the shampoo).
9) “Is this going to hurt?” You’re at the dentist. He has a two-bit drill in your mouth. Now’s not the time for this question.
10) “Did you manage to find parking?” No, I just left my car in the middle of the road and walked the rest of the way to work because I didn’t want to miss any of your witty banter.
(The article was written by Abdul Rahman Fikhree, Operations manager of Galadari Motor Driving Centre (GMDC), Dubai.)
I think #11 should by the question asked constantly by students at Ibri College the day after they have missed class. “Teacher, did you mark me absent?” I alway answer, “Well, were you absent?” They usually reply, “Yes.” And so I say, “So, yes, I marked you absent. It’s pretty simple really. When you are absent, I mark you absent!”
What other silly questions make YOU cringe?!
Chedi Summer Promotion
- "The suppression of ideas and thought is a major sin, and we will never allow anyone to stifle freedom of thought." (His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said)
- Omazing Oman! | Andreasens Abroad on The Secret Cave at Wadi Shab! A Definite Must See/Do in Oman!
- pentosidine elisa kit mouse on Hot Pot & Grills Restaurant in Bareeq al-Shatti Mall
- Roger Mortimore on The Breath-Taking Salalah-Hasik Road!!! Mountains, Cliffs and Beaches!
- Anonymous on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- Shagyidah on Scorpions in Oman!!!
- prashanth ug on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- Aliearia03 on The Ancient City of Qalhat
- Awesome Things That You Can Try in Muscat – Parchi Travel Diary on The Natural History Museum, Muscat, Oman
- Ronnie on Duqm Floating Hotel Veronica
- Anonymous on “Animal World”, Muscat, Oman
- HARSH TULSYAN on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- ramesh on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- tasneem on It’s all in the Delivery…
- Web Design Liverpool on Al Kasfah Hot Spring, Al Rustaq
- Sumtech Seoid on Zanzibar Bakery & Confectionery, North Al Hail
- The Haunted House of Muscat?!
- Is "The Lost City of Ubar" Found or Still Lost?! Shisr, Southern Oman
- Canon - Muscat Main Branch in Al-Araimi Complex
- Al Naseem Public Park, Barka, Oman
- "Animal World", Muscat, Oman
- Children with Special Needs in Oman
- The Noodle House
- T.G.I.FRIDAYS, Al Khuwair - Now Open!
- Jean's Grill Restaurant, Sultan Center, Al Qurum
- Daiso Japan, Muscat Grand Mall
- Ads (57)
- Amazing Grace (38)
- Amouage (1)
- Animals (44)
- Art (117)
- Beach Games (8)
- Beaches (97)
- Blogging (55)
- Books (20)
- charity (45)
- church (149)
- concert (38)
- culture (159)
- desert (5)
- Dubai (23)
- Duqm (4)
- education/language (44)
- fashion (1)
- Fireworks (9)
- Forts (61)
- Fun Things To Do (94)
- Gadgets Toys and Products (16)
- guest speaker (8)
- Health (33)
- History (103)
- Hotel (67)
- Humor (54)
- Ibri (57)
- Language Problems (27)
- Magazines (12)
- Masirah Island (5)
- Mountains (47)
- Movies (37)
- Musandam (9)
- Muscat Festival (28)
- Museums (34)
- Muttrah (40)
- Nizwa (3)
- Oman in the News (102)
- parenthood (46)
- Parks (23)
- Photo Challenge (33)
- Products (13)
- Rants (49)
- restaurants (141)
- ROP (5)
- Royal Opera House Muscat (23)
- Salalah (43)
- Scuba (17)
- Sermon (32)
- Sifah (6)
- Sinkholes (5)
- social events (71)
- Sohar (12)
- Some Thoughts (240)
- Sports (45)
- Teaching Overseas (1)
- The Bible (105)
- tourist sites (165)
- Toys (1)
- Turtles (7)
- UAE (46)
- Uncategorized (223)
- Wadis (37)
- Waterfalls (8)
- 1,827,550 hits