Birthdays are nothing to lose one’s head over.
I had a wonderful birthday about a month ago.
There is nothing more wonderful than being with the love of your life on such a day.
On the other hand, over the years I’ve had birthday celebrations surrounded by people and many gifts and never felt lonelier.
We live in a society/time of “exalting self” where people make a BIG deal about THEIR OWN birthday (inviting others to a party they themselves prepare! or telling everyone they know not to forget their birthday weeks and weeks in advance!)
“Me! Me! Me! Me! Mine! Mine! Mine!
But enough about “ME”! What do YOU think about ME?!”
In the Bible, there are only 3 mentions of the word “birthday” describing 2 different stories of birthdays; one in the Old Testament and one in the New Testament.
Pharoah’s in the Old and Herod’s in the New. In both cases, someone “loses their head” because 2 proud men lost their heads in celebrating their own birthday.
“And it came to pass the third day, which was Pharoah’s birthday, that he made a feast unto all his servants: and he lifted up the head of the chief butler and of the chief baker among his servants. And he restored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh’s hand: But he hanged the chief baker: as Joseph had interpreted to them.” (Genesis 40:20-22)
“But when Herod’s birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist’s head in a charger (large platter). And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath’s sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison.” (Matthew 14:6-10) (Also, recorded in Mark 6:21-27)
The point is, “Don’t lose your head worrying about your own birthday. Why not instead try to make an effort to make more of a big deal over others’ birthdays?!”
(Put self on the shelf!)
Chedi Summer Promotion
- "The suppression of ideas and thought is a major sin, and we will never allow anyone to stifle freedom of thought." (His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said)
- Omazing Oman! | Andreasens Abroad on The Secret Cave at Wadi Shab! A Definite Must See/Do in Oman!
- pentosidine elisa kit mouse on Hot Pot & Grills Restaurant in Bareeq al-Shatti Mall
- Roger Mortimore on The Breath-Taking Salalah-Hasik Road!!! Mountains, Cliffs and Beaches!
- Anonymous on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- Shagyidah on Scorpions in Oman!!!
- prashanth ug on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- Aliearia03 on The Ancient City of Qalhat
- Awesome Things That You Can Try in Muscat – Parchi Travel Diary on The Natural History Museum, Muscat, Oman
- Ronnie on Duqm Floating Hotel Veronica
- Anonymous on “Animal World”, Muscat, Oman
- HARSH TULSYAN on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- ramesh on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- tasneem on It’s all in the Delivery…
- Web Design Liverpool on Al Kasfah Hot Spring, Al Rustaq
- Sumtech Seoid on Zanzibar Bakery & Confectionery, North Al Hail
- The Haunted House of Muscat?!
- Is "The Lost City of Ubar" Found or Still Lost?! Shisr, Southern Oman
- Canon - Muscat Main Branch in Al-Araimi Complex
- Al Naseem Public Park, Barka, Oman
- "Animal World", Muscat, Oman
- Children with Special Needs in Oman
- The Noodle House
- T.G.I.FRIDAYS, Al Khuwair - Now Open!
- Jean's Grill Restaurant, Sultan Center, Al Qurum
- Daiso Japan, Muscat Grand Mall
- Ads (57)
- Amazing Grace (38)
- Amouage (1)
- Animals (44)
- Art (117)
- Beach Games (8)
- Beaches (97)
- Blogging (55)
- Books (20)
- charity (45)
- church (149)
- concert (38)
- culture (159)
- desert (5)
- Dubai (23)
- Duqm (4)
- education/language (44)
- fashion (1)
- Fireworks (9)
- Forts (61)
- Fun Things To Do (94)
- Gadgets Toys and Products (16)
- guest speaker (8)
- Health (33)
- History (103)
- Hotel (67)
- Humor (54)
- Ibri (57)
- Language Problems (27)
- Magazines (12)
- Masirah Island (5)
- Mountains (47)
- Movies (37)
- Musandam (9)
- Muscat Festival (28)
- Museums (34)
- Muttrah (40)
- Nizwa (3)
- Oman in the News (102)
- parenthood (46)
- Parks (23)
- Photo Challenge (33)
- Products (13)
- Rants (49)
- restaurants (141)
- ROP (5)
- Royal Opera House Muscat (23)
- Salalah (43)
- Scuba (17)
- Sermon (32)
- Sifah (6)
- Sinkholes (5)
- social events (71)
- Sohar (12)
- Some Thoughts (240)
- Sports (45)
- Teaching Overseas (1)
- The Bible (105)
- tourist sites (165)
- Toys (1)
- Turtles (7)
- UAE (46)
- Uncategorized (223)
- Wadis (37)
- Waterfalls (8)
- 1,827,550 hits