A beautiful sermon preached by Reverend Michael Peppin titled, “The Coming of Joy“. Some sermon notes:
- More than any New Testament writer, Luke was captivated by the notion of JOY.
- At the heart of our Christmas story is this angelic message: “I bring you good tidings of great joy“. (Luke 2:10)
- For almost 4 centuries, the voice of prophecy had been stilled.
- The good news comes to this unlikely audience of shepherds.
- The human emotion first encountered by the angel was FEAR.
- Today, by far, the most dominant mood in the world is FEAR. Ours is an age of fear.
- The heart of this heavenly announcement is “great JOY“.
- 3 words defining who Jesus is are these names: “Saviour“, “Christ“, “Lord“.
- A Saviour is: a Deliverer, a Helper, a Redeemer.
- As “Christ”, He is the “the Annointed One” – the Messiah.
- As Lord, He has supreme authority to rule and reign in heaven and earth.
- Joy at Christmas is found in a relationship with the Sovereign Lord.
- God’s peace is the healing of the estrangement between God and Man.
- Joyful Christmas peace is through reconciliation.
- The “favour” or “grace” proceeds from God and not from Man.
- Here is the joyful response of the shepherds: “They spread the word…” (verse 17) What had been made known to them, they made known to others.
- “They returned glorifying and praising God…” (verse 20) The Spirit of worship and doxology is the proper response.
Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you! Wishing you all of God’s richest blessings now and throughout 2013!