Chedi Summer Promotion
- "The suppression of ideas and thought is a major sin, and we will never allow anyone to stifle freedom of thought." (His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said)
- ali nadeem on The Haunted House of Muscat?!
- raipriya567 on The Happy/Blessed Future Leaders of Oman!!!
- mrs sofia abubakar on Children with Special Needs in Oman
- George jacob on Intensive IELTS Preparation Course
- heatherlouiserobertson on The Climb up to Al Sawadi Tower
- Anonymous on Jews in Oman?
- Hasan Arif on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- amir on AMOUAGE – The Gift of Kings
- Parvi on The Incredible Beach at the Coastal Village of Finns/Fins
- Darwin on The Fishing Village of Quriyat
- Cash Register UK on “Meet Oman’s Bloggerati” – Y Magazine
- boney on Al Mughsayl Bay Beach, Salalah, Oman
- Anonymous on Al Mughsayl Bay Beach, Salalah, Oman
- pozycjonowanie on “Meet Oman’s Bloggerati” – Y Magazine
- Google on Win a 1-Night Weekend Stay for 2 at Grand Hyatt Muscat!!!
- Jean's Grill Restaurant, Sultan Center, Al Qurum
- "The Journey of Life": A Visual Presentation Aboard The LOGOS HOPE
- Intensive IELTS Preparation Course
- Muscat International Airport Taxi Service & Rates
- Braving the Muscat-Salalah Road! Only for the Adventurous!
- The Haunted House of Muscat?!
- "Animal World", Muscat, Oman
- Breakfast at PAUL, Muscat Grand Mall
- Al Kasfah Hot Spring, Al Rustaq
- Would You Rather Work in a "Saloon" or a "Salon"?! BIG Difference!
- Ads (57)
- Amazing Grace (38)
- Amouage (1)
- Animals (44)
- Art (117)
- Beach Games (8)
- Beaches (97)
- Blogging (55)
- Books (20)
- charity (45)
- church (149)
- concert (38)
- culture (159)
- desert (5)
- Dubai (23)
- Duqm (4)
- education/language (44)
- fashion (1)
- Fireworks (9)
- Forts (61)
- Fun Things To Do (94)
- Gadgets Toys and Products (16)
- guest speaker (8)
- Health (33)
- History (103)
- Hotel (67)
- Humor (54)
- Ibri (57)
- Language Problems (27)
- Magazines (12)
- Masirah Island (5)
- Mountains (47)
- Movies (37)
- Musandam (9)
- Muscat Festival (28)
- Museums (34)
- Muttrah (40)
- Nizwa (3)
- Oman in the News (102)
- parenthood (46)
- Parks (23)
- Photo Challenge (33)
- Products (13)
- Rants (49)
- restaurants (141)
- ROP (5)
- Royal Opera House Muscat (23)
- Salalah (43)
- Scuba (17)
- Sermon (32)
- Sifah (6)
- Sinkholes (5)
- social events (71)
- Sohar (12)
- Some Thoughts (240)
- Sports (45)
- Teaching Overseas (1)
- The Bible (105)
- tourist sites (165)
- Toys (1)
- Turtles (7)
- UAE (46)
- Uncategorized (223)
- Wadis (37)
- Waterfalls (8)
July 2015 S S M T W T F « Jul 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- 1,616,257 hits
Category Archives: Language Problems
Wrong. As in, “there’s something wrong here”. Maybe the “wrong” in your picture is obvious, or maybe it’s quite subtle and takes a deeper look to notice – help your readers to understand what’s “wrong” in your picture.
It was so WRONG of this person to park like this, leaving me with about an inch to try to get in my car! I had to enter in the passenger’s seat! I could only guess as to what that “A” on the license plate stands for. I could write an entire blog just of pics and stories of wrong parking and driving here in the Sultanate!
I thought this sign was odd and possibly wrong the first time I saw it. It is found on a wide and long stretch of highway near Mussannah, Oman. If you think it’s a warning that an airplane might land on the road, you might not be entirely wrong. It means “Beware of low flying aircraft”. It later made sense when I realized that it’s located on the stretch of highway near Mussannah Airforce Base! ;-)
Can you catch what’s wrong here on this sign located on the entrance of a mosque in Rustaq?
I know there’s nothing “technically wrong” with this sign, but it just seems wrong to me no matter how hard someone tries to explain it to me. No disrespect intended-just my opinion.
This sign is located near a hot spring and I think this wrong translation is trying to tell people not to wash their cars in that location.
If you enjoy locating things that seem wrong or “just not right|, you’ll enjoy this gentleman’s experience in the Middle East and Africa as he captures things on his blog that are “Not Quite Right”.
Anything seem odd to you when reading this classified ad from one of the local English papers here in Muscat?
I think the person posting this ad meant to write “to be shared with only one “ROOMMATE“ (or “FLATMATE” as some Brits might say) but using the term “inmate” gives the impression that there are prison cells being rented out! Scenes from Single White Female and Silence of the Lambs came to mind when reading this ad, haha! Lord knows some roommates can sure act a lot more like inmates! ;-)
I sometimes have to scratch my head in bewilderment when reading papers here in Oman. In the Matrimony Section of Muscat Daily I keep seeing ads worded like this one:
OK…so this girl is “convent-educated” – I get that…but she’s seeking a groom who is “convent-educated”?! Does that seem odd to anyone else out there? Hello?! Doesn’t “convent-educated” mean that you have lived or at least stayed in a convent for a certain period of time? And isn’t it usually nuns that go to a convent? And, correct me if I’m wrong, (Am I really going out on a limb here?!) but aren’t the majority of (dare I so ALL!) nuns actually “women”?! Things that make me go “Hmm…”!
This is too funny to be true! A contract company in Egypt was asked to put “Diesel Fuel” and “No Smoking” IN ARABIC on a line of fuel-tankers. This is the final product:
HA! HA! Priceless! :-) Talk about “lost in translation” or following something so literally that you miss the entire point! And if you think I’m making this up, check out the source here at The Guardian in the UK.